Wednesday, February 6, 2013

MISIR-WOOOO!

HEY YO FINKS!

I'm working on the next episode of The Surfphony of Derstruction 2000 at the moment and I figured I would drop by the blog and say YO! Give ya a little conversation and give ya a little action, ya dig!

I'm gonna give you a sneak preview of what's coming up for the next episode of DA BIG SURF! Howzabout a little bit of THE KING OF SURF GUITAR, DICK DALE!

(The awkward looking fella playing the bass kinda looks like me when I'm wearing my old specs.)



YEAH YA KNOW MISIRLOU! If you've seen Pulp Fiction, you gotta know this song! Whenever people ask me about Surf music, the first question I ask is "Have you seen Pulp Fiction?" If they say "Yes" then I ask them if they remember the opening theme song and if they do, I say "That's Surf music." There's a reason Dick Dale is considered THE King of Surf Guitar! Mr. Dale was a pioneer of the surf scene and was the forerunner of electric guitar based Surf music.

Now, my interest in Surf basically started with Dick Dale. My old man was a big fan of Pulp Fiction and always preached the dang movie. When I first saw it in high school, I didn't have a dang clue what it was about but that's how it's supposed to be with Pulp Fiction. The music really hit a chord with me though. My dad, being the music aficionado that he is, had an old CD copy of the Pulp Fiction soundtrack from way back when. Needless to say, I wore that damn thing out. Years later, when I was going to university in Windsor, I was cruising through a pawn shop's music section and stumbled upon a copy of King of The Surf Guitar: The Best of Dick Dale & His Del-Tones. I snatched that album up and that was the end of me. Ever since then I have been HOOKED on Surf! I would say there's no better way to get into Surf than starting with the man who made it all happen, Dick Dale. I have absolutely no doubt that he is THE King of The Surf Guitar. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have the blazing fast, reverb drenched surf music we have today! It would probably just be The Ventures and The Beach Boys. (Nothing wrong with The Ventures, mind you!)

Keep an eye out in the midnight sky for when The Surfphony of Derstruction 2000 comes back for another round! For when the moon is full and the tide is high, we will ride the wild surf once again. And this time around, I'm looking to drop some knowledge on yer noggin about Dick Dale and Misirlou! DIG IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment